Monday, July 5, 2010

How will I find happiness if I don't seek it?

Adyashaniti writes, "The old Zen Master knew that seeking happiness (or truth, or reality or fill in the blank), is as silly as a dog thinking that it must chase its tail in order to attain its tail. The dog already has full possession of its tail from the very beginning. Besides, once the dog grasps his tail, he will have to let go of it in order to function."

If I possess, already, what I yearn for - love, acceptance, serenity, gracefulness, health, (a seemingly endless list if I am truthful) - why do these things often feel out of reach? My mind rebels against such ridiculousness as the dog story and tells me, "Surely, you will be much happier if you (and you can again fill in your own blank), had "enough" money, practiced more yoga, ate more organic vegetables, gave more to charity, traveled, were more successful in your work." My mind is convinced it can protect me from suffering, pain, illness, loss, boredom, fear, failing.

But, the mind is not to be trusted. That is what the Zen Masters teach us. The mind longs, yearns, pesters you for your slouth. "If only you worked harder, did this with more devotion...then you could be happy." The mind is an unruly monkey.

The Buddhists tell us, then, to watch the mind but not let it lead you astray into that place of "not enoughness". In the present moment, we already embody in the all that is. Watch the mind, quietly, and then see if you can surrender your thoughts to the heart which provides all that you require and can show you the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment